I don’t blog much about work but I thought you would like this.
My boss is a genuine long term New England Patriots fan. His wife is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan who hates the Patriots. I think that is awesome. They are genuine fans. I don’t know how their marriage survived some of those playoff games.
So being a Broncos fan, you know how classy and graceful I would have been when the Broncos beat the Tom Brady led Patriots twice and won the Super Bowl. Well I may have posted a photo of Tom Brady sitting on the turf near tears on the bulletin board. Just like that one to the left. See I can’t even help myself now. It wasn’t always classy. As a true fan, he accepted the mockery that his team was beaten by a team with a noodle armed QB.
Then this came out. The Broncos have the worst QB situation in the NFL.
That Sanchez may actually lose a training camp battle to Trevor Siemian tells you everything you need to know about his ability. The Broncos will not ask much from whomever they elect to start come Week 1: Just don’t turn the ball over too much and complete some simple play-action passes. But even that may be too much for Sanchez, who, even at an advanced age, is just a mess in the pocket, melting down at the first sign of pressure. And, unlike his predecessor Peyton Manning, Sanchez offers very little in the way of pre-snap adjustments.
When Denver signed him, friends phoned up and were like, “How are you and Mark handling this?” It was like this was sports news that was sooooo bad, it actually provoked some people I know to think, “I should phone up Jordon to see how he is handling this.”
Then you read the rest of the reviews and it’s like Mark Sanchez stole the writers girlfriend while at USC, they are all pretty fair. Sanchez is just that bad.
Guess who is number 1? Yeah, some dude from New England.
I read this and thought, “It’s going to be a long season at work.” Note that I said it wasn’t going to be a long day or week but a long NFL season at work.
I was left with a ethical work related dilemma. Do I show Glen this or just pretend it didn’t happen ignore the reality that Mark Sanchez is the Broncos QB. Maybe he wouldn’t realize how bad Mark Sanchez was. Yeah right. That whole AFC East thing.
When I showed the article to Mark, who is also a Broncos fan, he goes, “Bad couple of months at work ahead.”
So I emailed my boss with the subject like, “I’ll just get this out there” and sent him the link. He didn’t even read the entire list. Seeing the Broncos at the bottom of the QB pile was enough joy for him. If I was him, I would have just read it slowly and savored the list of horrible QBs that were listed as better than Mark Sanchez.
As Mark and I talked, we realized that there is only one way to get through this. That is go online and purchase this life sized replica of the Vince Lombardi Trophy and carry it around work wherever I go. If I am writing, I have it beside me. If I am in a meeting, it’s there with me as well. I even take it to the washroom or for lunch. Then whenever I am mocked for whatever Sanchez has buttfumbled this week, I say, “I’m sorry, I am just admiring my teams Super Bowl 50 trophy” and move on to the next topic.
Wendy wasn’t enthused at me spending almost $600 on this so it looks like a long season of mocking is ahead. Mark Sanchez, it literally can’t get any worse.
Update: Here is some feedback from friends.
- Dominant defenses generally slip the next season. There is little chance that Mark Sanchez could become Trent Dilfer. Partly because no one thinks that Sanchez is even as good as Trent Dilfer.
- There is some hope that Paxton Lynch could become a great QB but this year? It’s unlikely that he becomes the next Ben Roeslisberger and ride a dominant defense and running game to a 15-1 record. Also, that ended with a loss to the Tom Brady lead Patriots.
- My favorite comment was “even if you do buy the trophy, Sanchez would just fumble it”.
- Some Detroit Lions fans out there have told me that if they could win the Super Bowl, they would take Mark Sanchez and all of the mocking from Patriots fans in the world. So context is everything.
- I actually hoped the Broncos were able to draft Sanchez out of USC back in the Josh McDaniels era. Instead they drafted Tim Tebow. At least Sanchez is still back in the league. Well maybe that isn’t a good thing.
Now I will honor the Rules for being a Sports Fan. If there is anything left sacred in the world of sports, it is these rules. The main one is that I can’t complain for five years since the Broncos won a championship. So no Mark Sanchez complaining from me. None at all.