The video is a little shaky but it gives you an idea of the rather spectacular performance.
With Wendy working at Safeway and her shifts being all over the map, we need to plan ahead as a family if we are going to enjoy all of what Saskatoon has to offer this summer. While we wonâ€™t get to all of these events this summer, here is my list of why I think Saskatoon is a great place to spend the summer.
- June 24 and 25th :: Broadway Art Encounter :: This is done in conjunction with the Saskatchewan Jazz Festival so there will an interesting selection of art and some great jazz to see.
- July 10th :: Regina Red Sox vs. Saskatoon Yellow Jackets :: Wendy and I have been meaning to go to a minor league baseball game since the Saskatoon Yellow Jackets came to Saskatoon. They are a Western Major Baseball League team and I am told itâ€™s not bad baseball to watch. $8 per ticket.
- July 18th to July 25th :: Arlington Beach Family Camp and 50th Reunion :: I am taking the entire week off work and spending most of it at the cabin with the boys. Wendy will be out for part of the week while she works a couple of shifts at work.
- July 23rd and 24th :: Rotary Club Dragon Boat Festival :: Not sure if we will be back from the lake but if we are, we will take this in along with the Taste of Saskatchewan.
- July 20th to July 25th :: Taste of Saskatchewan :: I really like the idea of Taste of Saskatchewan but in reality, I donâ€™t really enjoy going. The food can either be good or mediocre, itâ€™s a really crowded event, the music is too loud to have a conversation, and parking can be brutal. My honest feeling is that it would be a better event with fewer (but better restaurants), a larger venue, and a sound stage that doesnâ€™t feel the need to blow out your ear drums.
- July 29th to August 7th :: Saskatoon Fringe Festival :: Good food, lots of stuff made of hemp, hundreds of people smoking pot while the police look the other way. I donâ€™t generally take in the plays but instead just enjoy myself on Broadway Avenue with the boys.
- July 31st :: Hamilton Tiger Cats vs. the Saskatchewan Roughriders :: Itâ€™s the Riders Centennial which means like all Saskatchewan Roughriders fans, we must make the mandatory pilgrimage to Mecca and take in a game. We are choosing to see the Riders lay down a smackdown on the Hamilton Tiger Cats. There is a reason why we have a cabin that is only an hour away from Mosaic Stadium.
- August 4th :: NASCAR Canadian Tire Series :: 250 laps of NASCAR goodness at the Auto Clearing Motor Speedway. Oddly enough, Pierre Bourque of Bourque Newswatch is also in the series. Sadly, the Conservative Party is no longer sponsoring his ride, maybe because NASCAR drivers only turn left.
- August 8th :: Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan :: I know it goes all summer but what could be a better way to spend a Sunday night than taking in some Shakespeare (The Merchant of Venice) and then head to a place with a patio for coffee and dessert.
- August 10 – 15 :: Saskatoon Exhibition :: This is the highlight of Markâ€™s summer and is fun to go with Wendy and Oliver as well.
- September 3-4 :: Saskatoon Fireworks Festival :: After years of taking in really lame fireworks shows in Saskatoon, the Saskatoon Fireworks Festival changed everything. It is a world class, must see event that is perfect for River Landing. Letâ€™s just hope the Traffic Bridge doesnâ€™t collapse before that weekend is over.
- September 29 :: Calgary Flames vs. New York Islanders :: I know I broke up with hockey a couple of years (I said some things, hockey said some thingsâ€¦ you know how it is) but we have been checking out each other on Facebook and I may grab a thing of nachos and see how hockey is doing.
As I mentioned before, Wendy, Oliver, Mark and I all went down to the Saskatoon Fireworks Festival on Saturday night. We met up with a co-worker and her husband and had a good time down at River Landing. It was really quite a show. I did have some cameras with me but the lack of space, our vantage point, and not wanting to put up a tripod convinced me to use the MoviePix HD and take some video. I chopped some of the video into 90 second clips and uploaded them to Flickr. You can see the Saskatoon Fireworks Festival set here.
Itâ€™s going on tonight and tomorrow night if you missed going last night.