- We are 95% done Christmas. The only big discussion that is tearing the family apart is which shaving system do Mark and I go to. I am tried of paying big money for Schick Hydro 5 blades (which work great but are expensive) which Mark wants an upgrade from his Gillette Sensor 3 razor and blades. I am not sure what I am going to do. Some of you have expressed strong opinions against Henry’s razors but Mark is considering the M5 Magnum. I may also consider the Costco alternative. Of course we don’t talk about this in front of Wendy who erupts and brings up how much more money and how much lower quality women’s razors are.
- Some of you read my tweets about a City of Saskatoon contractor tossing a handful of grass seed down on some dirt a week ago and thought I was mad. I am not. By them cheaping out and not doing the job right, let’s me plant a premium blend of seed on the boulevard and then let is fill out the grass in other areas. 18 years ago when we moved in, we had a huge path that cut it’s way through one part of the side boulevard. After a couple of years of planting and replanting, I found the right combination of grass seed and it took off through the entire boulevard. Part of the plan of seeding in half of the driveway with the same kind of seed is to see it take off and grow back into the back section of the boulevard and take over the crappy grass there (it’s fine if it is raining but the combination of weird seed and no top soil means that it goes yellow if not seeing water almost all of the time, even after 20 years of mulch and fertilizer.
- Mark’s jaw is back to normal which means he can eat real food.
- Oliver is taking karate at Mayfair School three times a week. After watching a Jackie Chan fight scene, he said, “I think I take that next year”.
- Wendy and Oliver took in the 2015 Santa Claus parade. Wendy took photos and posted them on her website.
- For the first time since the early 90s, I don’t have word processor on my computers. I am now writing my columns on Google Docs and I have loved the transition. Since no one has asked, here are the list of word processors I have loved. GeoWorks Writer (DOS), Varsity Scripsit (DOS) by Tandy, Microsoft Word 5.5 (DOS), WordPerfect 5.1 (DOS), Microsoft Word 2.0c (Windows), Microsoft Word 6, Microsoft Word 95, WordPerfect 7, Microsoft Works, Microsoft Word 97, Microsoft Word 2000, Open Office Writer, Libre Office Writer, Apple Pages and now Google Docs. Of all of them, Varsity Scripsit, Microsoft Word 2.0c, and AbiWord (depending on the version) are my favorites. Apple Pages and Open Office Writer were the worst. I may purchase Corel Office for times I need more complicated page layout options.
- Part of still doesn’t believe Donald Trump is serious about running for President. He isn’t spending any money on a field organization. No advertising, no nothing. I still wonder if it is a marketing stunt for his Trump Hotel that is opening in Washington this spring.
A blog about urbanism, technology & culture.