After a long day of work, we spent Christmas Eve at Lee and Brittany’s place in Warman. Â They had come by the house earlier and picked up the boys and the presents so all we had to do was go home and then drive out to their place. Â We had a nice non-traditional Christmas dinner (some of that tomorrow) and then opened up presents.Â The key to Christmas Eve is to eat quickly and no small talk (Lee famously said to Mark one year, “Less talking, more chewing”) so we can get to the presents quicker. Â The tradition of the last couple of years has been to even put off dessert post Christmas present opening.
- I gave Wendy a Fujifilm Finepix JX600 compact digital camera.Â She has been looking for a new once since her Fujifilm Finepix J10 camera needed a desperate upgrade.Â This one will let Wendy take better photos, HD video, and yet still be small enough to take with her wherever she goes.Â It also features 3D shooting options which means I will be asking to play with it.Â I also lucked out in that it has the same battery that I just got Wendy for her old camera for our anniversary. Â A nice bonus for her.
- Mark gave Wendy a ladies Timex Ironman Triathlon watch.Â Wendy rarely remembers to put a watch on and is always taking it off.Â The hope is that if we got her a watch she would love, she would actually wear it.Â So far so good but it is early yet.
- Oliver gave Wendy some earrings and a lightweight tripod so she can do some night photography.Â Personally I think he just wants to stay up later and is using the tripod as an excuse to hang out with mom. Â He also gave her a print of him and Mark out for a walk.
- Santa Claus surprised her with an Olympus PEN ELP-2 interchangeable lens camera. Â it was used but barely used. Â Wendy has been looking at a Nikon J1, some Sony NEX series cameras and a Fuji X series camera but apparently Santa found her one with a 14-42mm lens. Â I was a little nervous supporting a second lens family (yeah I know how funny that sounds) but there are some really affordable Micro Four Thirds lens that we can add that she will love.
- The dogs partnered up with Santa and got her a 16gb memory card, a Crumpler One Million Dollar House camera bag, and a 37mm lens filter. Â I think she liked the camera bag more than the cameras. Â Story of my life.
- I gave Mark a Vivitar Action Camera.Â He probably wanted a GoPro but I was on a budget and he is thrilled with it.Â It comes with a headband, helmet mount, and bike mount.Â Expect to see him doing things that will hurt himself soon on his YouTube account. Â That’s quality parenting right there folks.
- Santa Claus stopped by and gave him a Sony Xperia J cellphone.Â Â Mark has had two other smart phones, the Samsung Galaxy 550 and then last year we gave him a HTC Desire C and he has taken very good care of them.Â He loves the Desire C but it is seriously underpowered and really slow running Android and would not run some apps he really likes.Â The Xperia J should speed up his life a little bit.Â
- Wendy gave him some 100 watt 2.1 computer speakers while Oliver gave him some portable X-Mini speakers.
- The dogs gave him a pen and notebook set.
- Lee and Brittany gave him a set of Huskie Athletics sweats and hoodie. Â He’ll never take them off.
- Wendy and I gave him a Canon 28-135mm DSLR lens mug. Â It’s the closest thing he is coming to a DLSR camera this Christmas.
- Since he is doing some winter camping at school, we gave him a couple of pairs of wool socks.Â He is going to need them.
- I gave Oliver a set of walkie talkies and some 4×30 compact binoculars.Â He was thrilled because Mark has a pair of binoculars and I gave a pair to Lee as well.Â As for the walkie talkies, what kid doesn’t love walkie talkies.Â Oddly enough Wendy is thrilled with them because they do Morse code. Â I hear beeping in my future.
- Wendy gave Oliver, Little Big Planet 2 which has less puzzles to solve then the first one which means he won’t be bugging Mark about helping him solve them. Â Of course we also got a great family game as we got him Little Big Planet Karting. Â It should be fun.
- Mark gave him Lego Batman 2 for his Nintendo DS.Â Oliver loves Batman and insists that Mark is Robin.Â Mark isn’t so crazy about that. Â We also got Oliver a Batman bobble head. Â Something to inspire him with.
- Santa Claus dropped off a boom box for his room along with some CDs.Â Apparently Santa knows that Oliver loves chilling to music with Mark.
- Hutch got him an art set
- Maggi got him a compact camcorder.Â It’s only standard definition but if it was good enough to shoot Knight Rider in, it will be fine for Oliver.Â He loves to make adventure movies with Mark so I can’t wait to see what he shoots.Â The camcorder was being blown out at $10 and I tossed a 2 GB SD card in it.Â At only 640×480 resolution, he should be able to record himself doing a “slow punch to the face” for days.Â I guess I need to get him set up on YouTube (where he could be Mark’s second camera operator).
- I gave Lee a full sized set of binoculars that should last him for decades.Â Very similar to the ones that I have and similar to the ones my grandfather gave me.Â The only thing that makes me sad is that they don’t come with leather hard cases like they used to (long before I was born).
- The boys gave him a framed print of themselves being idiots while out on a walk.Â It seems to sum both of them up so well.
- We also got Lee, Bobby Orr’s autobiography.
- Wendy gave Brittany a small cast iron pan with ingredients to make up brownies
- Since Wendy loved the griddle I got her last year, she gave one to Brittany as well.
- Wendy gave me an Apple TV.
- Oliver gave me a rather sharp used F 1.7 50mm lens for my DSLR.Â He also gave me a LowePro lens case to keep it in.
- Mark got me The Longer Iâ€™m Prime Minister by Paul Wells.Â (you can read a Toronto Star review here)
- Maggi collaborated with Oliver and gave me a Manfrotto compact tripod.
- Lee and Brittany gave me Battlefield 4. Â Now I have to go and fight the world myself.
- The dogs got me a lens! Â Err a coffee travel mug. Â Now I can pour myself a steaming cup of DSLR.
I also got a Lowepro Classified 160 AW camera bag
Well that’s enough from me tonight. Â We are sleeping in tomorrow (as if) and then heading over to our friend’s Jerry and Gloria Reimer where we are enjoying Christmas dinner. Â Then it is back to work on Boxing Day for Wendy and I.