Jim Henderson has a great post on what the black church has that the white church needs.
The White church is slowly being pushed toward the margins of a culture it once dominated.
- Cell phone towers are replacing church steeples as key geographic (and cultural) markers
- For all its political effort, the religious right has come up largely empty handed
- The fastest growing faith segment in America is the â€œnonesâ€ those who claim no religion
The Good News: The Black church has been operating from the margins from its inception
- Theyâ€™ve never had power or influence over the majority culture
- Theyâ€™ve always had to do more with less
- They have experience with being ignored
- Theyâ€™ve developed practical gospel that brings heaven to humans (as well as humans to heaven)
- They produced the most significant Christian leader of the 20th Century Martin Luther King Jr.
The Bad News: Weâ€™ve rarely asked them for help
- We have largely ignored their accomplishments
- We have been suspicious of their version of the gospel
The Best News: If we ask, theyâ€™re willing to help us
- Create a more practical gospel
- Become more about others and less about ourselves
Make sure you read the entire post.