First the positives:
- The University of Saskatchewan Huskies beat the UBC Thunderbirds making Coach Brian Towris the winningest coach in CIU football. For you American readers, this is a pretty big deal. Brian Towris wins year in and year out with no scholarships and until recently, inferior facilities to almost every other university in Canada. Related: David Dube revitalizes Huskies homes games.
- The Saskatoon Hilltops beat the Winnipeg Rifles (a rather appropriate name for the Winnipeg team considering the news of the last week). A special nod to the Hilltops for practicing with Markâ€™s football team this Thursday. This is the highlight of Markâ€™s season so far. Related: Dave Hutton writes that Gordie Howe Bowl is about to get a $8.9 million dollar upgrade.
- Itâ€™s really good to see the Houston Texans finally get a defense. Say what you want to say about Wade Phillips but he is an incredible defensive coach. Watching some of chaos in Dallas this year makes me wonder how much of the fault was Wade Phillips and how much is the fault of Jerry Jones.
- I became a Detroit Lions fan watching Wayne Fontes coach them during the 80s and 90s. There has been a lot more good times than bad but this year has been incredible to watch them. The fans in Detroit deserve this and I hope they are enjoying their renaissance. I know I am.
- Notre Dame beats Purdue. I know itâ€™s just Purdue but teams like the Boilermakers used to give Notre Dame fits so I am glad to see the progress.
- Does BC Place look amazing or what? It is a formula for the Minneapolis Metrodome. I am sure itâ€™s too late in that process but what a way to revitalize a stadium.
- Tigers and Yankees are tied at a game a piece as the series shifts to Detroit.
- Sure it is good to see the Houston Texans get an offense but boy do the Pittsburgh Steelers look old. Itâ€™s early and you donâ€™t want to count the Steelers out but I canâ€™t help but wonder if there wonâ€™t be a drastically different looking Steelers roster for next season.
- Letâ€™s not talk about what happened in Green Bay. Denver is not a very talented team yet. Shanahanâ€™s last couple of drafts were horrible and the only decent player that McDanielâ€™s brought in was Eric Decker. Itâ€™s going to be a while until they are back on top.
- What can you say about the Saskatchewan Roughriders other than they are not a very good team. Grandpa coming back gave them a spark but I have been saying since last season that just because Ken Miller was a good assistant coach, it doesnâ€™t make him a good personnel man. That and I have been terrified of Brendan Taman running the team ever since they brought him in. Look at what he did to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and how long it took them to recover.
- Dear Buffalo Bills. You lost to the Cincinnati Bengals. Really? Rookie QB, lame duck coach, apathetic fans and you still lost to them. You should be ashamed.