Mark snorting Diet Coke up his nose.
Okay, I just checked out my 2009 New Yearâ€™s Resolutions. Letâ€™s see how I did.
- Walk or ride by mike to work 100 days next year :: Not even close. I did it about 50 times. FAIL
- Read a book a week :: I read a lot but I would do about 2 books a day while up at the lake each time we went up there for three or four days. It was like binge eating. FAIL
- Play a game of tennis a week weather permitting :: Never played a single game. I suck. FAIL
- Golf five times this summer with Mark. FAIL
- Take three drives from the book that the Reimerâ€™s gave me for Christmas, Saskatchewan Scenic Drives :: We did two but thatâ€™s fine with me. PASS
- Get out of the country once in 2009 :: PASS
- Put a front and a back deck on the cabin :: FAIL I put the gazebo up and am happy with that. This year I will add a front patio. It was hot on the days I wanted to do some work and there is this ice cream stand where the breeze blows through underneath the shade treesâ€¦
- Finish my documentary on homelessness in Saskatoon :: FAIL but I made some progress.
- Learn how to fish. :: Never went once. FAIL
- Dedicate some more time to Resonate in 2009. PASS
So here are the 2010 New Yearâ€™s Resolutions.
- Mark and I are going to hike to Grey Owlâ€™s cabin. Itâ€™s about 40 kilometers round trip through the Canadian boreal forest. Itâ€™s a pretty clear trail and with or without a GPS it will almost impossible to get lost. Mark got so excited when I brought up the idea, he almost started packing. Itâ€™s a two day hike in and out so it should be a lot of fun. I am not sure if Wendy will be joining us but if she does, it will be a lot of fun.
- I want to do about 1500 km on the bike this year. It isnâ€™t quite was Dave King will do in 2010 but then again, I donâ€™t think I am as committed to my goal as he is.
- Wendy wants to lose some weight this year. I am supporting her by giving up all junk food and cutting my Diet Coke consumption (a side note, while I loved a cool Pepsi and Coke while growing up, I canâ€™t stand their taste now on the occasional time where I will drink a bit of one). Odd to think that you can lose a taste for something like that. Then again I donâ€™t have much sweet things anymore so maybe I lost my sweet tooth.
- Play a game of tennis twice a month. This time I am serious. I have a great Prince racket which I hope will intimidate my opponent into thinking I have a better game than I do. Sadly I donâ€™t think it will work as Wendy plans to be my opponent for most of those games. The frustrating part about this is Saskatoon has shut down quite a few of their west side tennis courts which means that on the weekends, it can be hard to find a court.
- Golf five times this summer with Mark. The plan is to manufacture Mark into a world famous golfer and billionaire by the time he is 30. Well maybe not. The actual plan is to make him into a kid that can hit a straight drive once in a while. For those of you not from Saskatoon, Silverwood Golf Course was designed for kids and parents to golf at. Itâ€™s a dual 9 hole course which will mean for some quick games (well it depends on how we golf). Itâ€™s a pretty cool idea and it will be our golf club of choice in 2010.
- Read better books this year :: I read a lot of garbage last year, most of it was sent to me by Christian publishers looking for kind reviews. At the end of many of them I felt like I had wasted a lot of time. This year I am tossing them out and focusing on books that will challenge me and expand my thinking, not just frustrate me.
- Write more and also use more video on the blog :: I donâ€™t know if I am going to retire the contextless links or not but the plan is to write longer, better researched, and better written posts. I am also going to start using video more for some fun but also longer features. The pith can stay with Twitter.
A blog about urbanism, technology & culture.