The NFL season is almost here and I am coming to grips with my ongoing addiction to NFL football. Since it is a changing addiction, I thought I would offer up where I am at this year.
- I am planning to take Thursday and Friday of the NFL draft in 2010 as vacation days.
- I can only follow about 300 people on Twitter without missing Tweets all over the place (hint if someone says they are following 3,000 people, that arenâ€™t following anyone). I have had to make some tough choices on who to cut since I am following @richeisen, @OGochocinco, @YahooSportsNFL @Adam_Schefter, @RealMikeSilver, @SI_PeterKing, @tim_micallef, @Denver_Broncos, and @jamiedukes. Sadly it meant that there were some cuts that had to be made. Iâ€™ll follow @wendycooper, @coopermark, and @mcgrowl in the off season.
- I have recently made a couple of dinner reservations under Steve DeBerg and one under Ron Mexico. Speaking of Mr. Mexico, every time I have ever prepared a sermon, I have looked for an appropriate place to make a Ron Mexico reference and after years of study, I have concluded, there is no appropriate place. That being said, I do think that would make a worthy topic of a Masters thesis.
- I recently re-read Instant Replay by Green Bay Packer great, Jerry Kramer. If you havenâ€™t read it, it is one of the great sports biographies of all time and shows how close those Green Bay Packerâ€™s teams under Vince Lombardi really were.
- I bought Wendy some Denver Broncos ear rings last year for our anniversary (actually she picked them out).
- We woke up to Mark watching the NFL Network last week. I cried a tear of joy.
- Not only did the original pre-season game with Kyle Orton throwing all of those touchdowns make me upset but so did both times I watched the rerun of the game.
- Speaking of Kyle Orton, I am thinking of growing a really bad neck beard as a sign of solidarity.
- Today I got out my combination of John Elway cards, including the 1989 Pro-Set John Elway card, which I count as my favorite card of all time, dusted them off and displayed them in a tacky place to drive Wendy crazy until the Super Bowl is over or she threatens me with a divorce.
- I tried to convince Wendy that we name Oliver, Thurston Goal Cooper. That didnâ€™t go over well either.
Maybe I do need some professional helpâ€¦ at least until the Kyle Orton neck beard grows in.