I missed the game today. We were out hiking the Mud Creek Trail in Prince Albert National Park. I did hear the train wreck that was the postgame show.
- This is a pattern of Brendan Taman. He takes over a team that makes it to the Grey Cup, won’t challenge or change the roster and within a couple of years the team is old and horrible. It is what happened in Winnipeg and is what is happening in Regina. There is a reason why Hugh Campbell turned over 30% of his Edmonton Eskimos roster during his dynasty years. Time is undefeated and the message that no one is sacred is a powerful one.
- I don’t think a CFL team should ever hire a Canadian GM. The best football in the world collegiately is being played in the SEC and has for years. I think you need a GM that has strong ties in the SEC or the ACC, like Roy Shivers or Eric Tillman. It is connection with high school coaches, university position coaches and even junior college coaches who can help you identify you players that aren’t on the national radar but can help your football team.
- Speaking of Eric Tillman, is it too soon to consider bringing him back? I think it is but some will consider it.
- While I blame Brendan Taman, a lot of responsibility has to stand with Corey Chamblin. He seems unable to identify why the Riders are playing horrible and doesn’t know how to fix it. There have been other coaches that are good when things are going along great but can’t fix things when they run poorly (I think of Mike Singletary) because they are over their head schematically. Chamblin seems lost and over his head right now. So does his staff.
- Everyone gets on Chamblin for the penalties but I think this is on Taman. It is the kind of players you get. If you looked back at the player committing the most penalties, they would have a track record of doing it college and probably high school. As Jimmy Johnson used to say, “Don’t send me stupid players because you can’t coach stupid players”. We think talent is everything. It isn’t.
- While the Winnipeg Bluebombers defense isn’t amazing, it is better than the Riders and with probably less talent. Who is coaching that defense? A gentlemen name Ritchie Hall, previously defensive coordinator of the Saskatchewan Roughriders… back when they had a strong defense.
- I love the hoardes that get upset when you criticize the Saskatchewan Roughriders as “we are all one team”. No, not really. I am not on the team. I am a fan of the team. I buy stuff from the Rider store, I cheer for the team but what is going on with that office and that field is solely the domain of the directors, the management, coaches, and players. I don’t get a Grey Cup ring when they win and I am allowed to criticize the team when they are this bad.
- Speaking of bad, Chamblin’s post game interview was horrible when he offered up that there were issues with Brett Smith being benched and not being able to go back in. Umm, why offer that up if you aren’t going to expand on it. All it does it create speculation and media attention around you rookie QB and create a distraction when you are entering week 11 and still trying to win a game. Also, I was really disgusted by CKRM (I think it was Mitchell Blair but I could be wrong) asking Chamblin if he thought he would be fired. This is a man’s livelihood we are talking about and how did they really expect him to answer that? “Yes I think I should be fired”. If It was Chamblin I would have said, “Thanks but I am done with this interview.”
- So what’s next for the Riders? New stadium coming online in two years. Do they trust Taman to be able to rebuild the Riders for that season? From his track record, I don’t think I would.