Yesterday Wendy came to me all upset and said she had dropped both of our iPhones. Mine was fine but her phone had a smashed screen. I wasn’t that upset. Those things happen although two in a month (ahem Mark) was kind of painful. When Mark broke his screen, I went to Costco and bought him a Acer Liquid Z410 for $130. I picked up a 16gb Micro SD card from Don’s Photo for $15 and he was set. For being so cheap, I was really happy with his phone. It also has DTS Sound in it so even without a Bluetooth speaker the sound is good.
Wendy felt horrible but I was secretly happy. Our contracts come up this summer with Bell and I had no idea what phone to get. I was tempted to get some unlocked phones from Costco and save the money on our monthly bill. I’m happy with Bell (and Mark is with Virgin) but it’s nice to have options. Now I only have to figure out what I am going to do. I am personally thinking of a Windows phone but I am always tempted to go back to Blackberry or a Windows Phone.
Instead of picking up the Acer Liquid Z410, I got her the larger Acer Liquid Jade Z.
- Display: 5-in. IPS TFT LCD
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth® 4.0 with EDR
- Screen resolution: 1280 x 720
- Operating system: Android™ 4.4 (KitKat)
- Main camera: 13 MP AF with flash LED
- Battery: Built-in 2,300 mAh rechargeable Li-polymer battery with up to 7 hours of talk time
- Capture 30 fps FWVGA (MP4, H.264, H.263)
- 720p video recording
- Processor: Quad-core 1.5 GHz, MT6732
- Dual micro SIM
- 16 GB storage
- 2GB RAM
- MicroSD™ memory card expansion slot (card not included)
- In-cell type touch lens with direct bonding
- Side keys: volume up/down
- Power key on top of device
- LED indicator lights for charging, missed call, new message, lower battery
- Google virtual keyboard
- GPS Satellite data updates
For $220, it was a steal (way cheaper in store than online).
The only thing I don’t like about it is that it was a pain to find a case for it. I ordered one for Wendy’s and Mark’s from Amazon.ca. The price is right but they won’t be here until the end of March because I assume they are shipping from Taiwan or China.