For some reason some of you care passionately about what I do to my lawn. Here is my spring update.
- The lawn weathered the winter far better than I thought it would. We have one sparse patch and the dog did her best to kill some of it off but over all, it is way better off than I expected.
- Some of that I credit to using fall fertilizer. It made a big difference which I need to remember this fall.
- We have used six bottles of Killex on our lawn to control dandelions. Some of you have success using the dandelion bar, I have never seen any difference. I have no idea why it doesn’t work for us.
- Despite using six bottles so far of Killex, I have a boulevard of dandelions this morning. It’s the same with everyone else but no one else is fighting it. Also the abandoned lot behind us isn’t helping things.
- I have fertilized heavily this year. I used to reseed the dead areas but then I am naturing new grass every year. This year I am fertilizing and then waiting for it to grow in. I guess the idea is that I want more of the grass that is successful surviving our winter, not some stuff that is designed for a more temperate climate and looks good in the summer and then dies off.
- I wish I didn’t have to fertilize this month but like a lot of houses in Mayfair, topsoil was never used. It’s gotten better since we moved in but it isn’t ideal.