instead of a New Years Resolution, here is my list of things I want to get done in 2011.
The personal goals first
- Take a photo each day of 2011 and post it to my Project 365 set on Flickr. Iâ€™ll also post some to the Project 365 group. This is designed to force me to carry a camera every day. I went out and purchased some better camera cases which will make it easier for me to carry a point and shoot camera as well as my Fuji S2000HD along with me.
- Get the front deck done at the cabin and build a back patio or replace the gazebo with another one.
- Finish up my documentary this year. I have about 40 interviews but itâ€™s not even close to being done.
- Head to Calgary for an extended weekend this summer. Take the boys to
Calaway Park ,Heritage Park, Banff via the old highway, Johnston Canyon, the HuskyCalgary Tower, Calgary Zoo, have coffee with noted local photographer Dave King, Cave and Basin National Historic Site, the gondola, and visit Sawback picnic site (my favourite place on earth).
- While at Johnston Canyon, take the hike all of the way to the ink pots (which I have never seen). Maybe I can get a ride in Oliverâ€™s stroller.
- Spend at least one uninterrupted week at the cabin with the family. All of us. Including the dogs. With a visit from Lee in there for a couple of days.
- Walk or bike to work 100 days of the year. I am going to put a 1500 km goal on the bike this year. Weâ€™ll see how I do.
- Create some online historical walking tours of Saskatoonâ€™s historic sites. I have been waiting for the Saskatoon Historical Society to be doing it for ages and it never happens. Plus the best ones that I have seen are done by individuals and not organizations.
- Put up at least three posts a month at The Hedge Society.
- Hike with Mark to Grey Owlâ€™s Cabin in Prince Albert National Park.
- Learn Adobe Premiere Elements like the back of my hand. I know there are some seasoned video editors out there who scoff at the term elements but letâ€™s keep in mind that I am a hack, not a professional.
- Make Evernote a part of my daily life.
Now my work related goals
- That documentary thing is kind of work related.
- Finish up a comprehensive manual for front line homeless workers and post it online.
- Finish up and launch a website for homeless individuals, front line workers, and the public on housing resources and homeless issues in Saskatoon.
- Take John School on the road. John School is incredibly effective but itâ€™s only for guys who have been picked up for solicitation. By that time a neighbourhood has been affected, marriages have been destroyed, and women have been hurt. The idea is to get the content and message from John School out there before lives have been ruined.
- Put together a conference on human trafficking in the city during 2011. I realize that I am a libertarian deep down which makes me quite liberal minded but there are 600 known sex trade workers in Saskatoon and many of them are underage. No, not all of them are like Julia Roberts or Heidi Fleiss.
- This may not happen this year but I would love to start the work on having some policy discussions on poverty and homelessness in Saskatoon with policy makers. I hate meetings and rallies that donâ€™t take into practical and financial implications for homelessness, poverty, and housing. I can stand on the rooftops and scream for more money as well as the next one but the reality is that there is always going to be competing political and economic realities.
- Move the $10,000 goal that we (hope to) raise online with the iKettle and increase it $25,000 for Christmas 2011.
The goals for the website
- Become functionally literate. The spelling mistakes around here are killing me when I read old posts. I twice fired the writing staff this fall but unlike Conrad Black, I forgot to change the locks when I let people go and they keep sneaking back in. Stupid helper monkeys.
- Incorporate some more video into the site. I really enjoyed Warren Kinsellaâ€™s W@AL segments and want to do some more fun stuff with video here.
- I plan to do some long form writing on some more serious topics. Writing 10,000 word essays is not my idea of a fun job and as you can see, there isnâ€™t a lot of revenue being generated through advertising these days (apparently I fired my advertising team as well).
- I plan a lot more time doing some street level photography. I have long been a fan of what Jake Dobkin has done with BLUEJAKE and what Sam Javanrouh has done with Top Left Pixel and I would love to do more of that in Saskatoon. This will be related to #8 of my personal goals.