On the 27th I went to Best Buy to take a look at DSLRâ€™s on sale. I didnâ€™t see any DSLRs but while I was there, I saw that Koodo had dropped their price on Blackberry Curves to $150 and no contract. I had thought about getting a LG Rumor 2 this year but after looking into it, we decided to get the Curve. I had been quite happy with Virgin but I have had technical problems with my account for two years and it was getting worse. While Virginâ€™s tech support and customer service staff have been really helpful, they still could not fix the problem so I finally decided to make the move.
The first thing I did was get my Curve set up to our wifi connection in the house. That wasnâ€™t working that well. Then I realized my router was about a billion years old (it was a 801b router) and it needed an upgrade. Since my new router was on my desk, it was pretty easy to upgrade. The Curve, my iPod Touch, and our notebook suddenly worked a lot faster. I upgraded my old routerâ€™s firmware and will give it Computers for Kids and if they donâ€™t want it, it can go to SARCAN.
Here is are the apps that made their way onto it over the last couple of days.
- Blackberry App World | How does this not come preinstalled? Seriously. Itâ€™s like Apple not installing iTunes or an App Store on their iPhones.
- Google Sync | It keeps my contact information and calendar current and syncâ€™d with my Blackberry.
- Google Mobile Apps | I probably donâ€™t need them but they are there just in case.
- Google Latitude | Does anyone use this? That being said I tend to favour Foursquare
- Personal Assistant
- The Weather Network App | Itâ€™s set up to find the weather in Saskatoon, Calgary, Regina, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Govan.
- Urban Spoon | Wendy can never decide where to go and eat. This helps solve that. Well not really but I am wishful thinking.
- Ping Chat | I can chat with Wendy and Mark on their iPodâ€™s with this app.
- Foursquare | It doesnâ€™t yet use wifi but it allows you to check in and out all over the place. Itâ€™s one of those apps that doesnâ€™t make sense until you use it and then you love it.
- Twitter | Umm, itâ€™s one of the main reasons why I upgraded to a Blackberry.
- Facebook (one the off chance for some reason I need to actually log in sometimeâ€¦ maybe in 2012)
- Flickr | Itâ€™s an uploader that uploads my camera phone shots to Flickr. It rather annoyingly resizes them but Iâ€™ll deal with that later.
News and Sports
- The Globe and Mail
- New York Times
- The Score Mobile
- AP Mobile
- MySask411 | I never saw this as a â€œmust haveâ€ app but now that I have it on my phone, its great.
- The Rider App | The Saskatchewan Roughriders are the only CFL team to have their own app.
- Globe and Mail
- CFL App from Telus
Am I missing anything? Let me know in the comments.