New computer means that I get to go through the process of installing new applications as well as some old favorites. In case you are wondering, here is my list of essential Windows software downloads.
Office and Productivity
- Open Office (free) with some excellent extensions that are now available.
- AbiWord (free) When I write I like a word processor that gets and stays out of my way.
- Gimpshop (free) Based on Gimp but it has a Photoshop style interface. Itâ€™s not quite Photoshop but itâ€™s not $600 either.
- Paint.net (free) another wonderful and free photo organizer
- Picasa (free) Googleâ€™s photo organizer. The nice thing is that allows me to easily backup all of my photos.
- Microsoft Photo Story (free)
- Windows Movie Maker and some add ons (free)
- Windows Live Writer for blogging (free)
- FreeMind (free) I have started using mind mapping software a while ago and it has helped me organize some things in my mind and also for others.
- Google Sketchup (free) Itâ€™s another software program that isnâ€™t a necessity but I enjoy playing with when I need to create some plans for around the house and or at the cabin.
- Mozilla Firefox (free)
- Google Chrome (free) I made the switch from Firefox to Google Chrome last year and I donâ€™t regret it at all. Itâ€™s that good.
- Apple Safari (free) It isnâ€™t that bad but it isnâ€™t that great.
- Google Talk (free) Username: email@example.com
- Windows Live Messenger (free) Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Skype w/ PowerGramo for recording podcasts (free) Username: jordoncooper
- Google Earth (free) Mark and I have spent hours playing with it. Now we can explore the galaxy.
- KompoZer (free) In March 2007, KompoZer was featured on Download.comâ€™s round up on the best free alternatives to Adobe CS3, where it was favorably compared to Adobe Dreamweaver.
- CC Cleaner (free) I just started to use this but I like it better than EZ Cleaner.
- EZ Cleaner (free)
- PDF Creator (free) Since I use Open Office which does a good job of publishing to PDF, I donâ€™t use this a lot but every once in a while I need a PDF from a different program and this does a great job.
- Fox It Reader (free) So much faster than Adobe Acrobat that it is ridiculous and should make Adobe ashamed of themselves.
- AVG Free (free) It does daily updates, is free, and stays out of the way a lot better than other anti virus programs out there.
- Defraggler (free) I started to use this as I find it faster and more thorough then Windows Defrag.
- Recuva (free) Wendy and Mark tend to delete things and then empty the Recycle Bin or things like that. This counters their best efforts.
- Audacity (free) Basic audio editing
- Dropbox (free) I love Dropbox. I have it installed at home, work, and on both laptops. Instead of always looking for a thumb drive, I transfer up to 2 gigs at a time with Dropbox. If you arenâ€™t using it, you have no idea how useful this service really is.
- Winamp (free)
- Last.fm (free)
- iTunes (free)
- Sony PSP Media Manager (freeâ€¦ kind of if you download it from the Sony Japanese site)