- I am working the night shift tonight after a couple of staff called in. I worked all Wednesday during the day and of course couldn’t get any sleep between five o’clock and midnight. Now I work from midnight to eight a.m. and then I can walk home, get showered and walk back to work where I have meetings until four p.m. After walking home again, I get to change and then walk to another meeting. My day ends Thursday at around 9:00 p.m. My body is upset with me already. Sadly none of the meetings are ones that I can ditch. All are really important and ones that I need to be at. Tomorrow I am so sleeping in. Oh wait, I can’t. Another couple of meetings.
- The good news is that while I get paid overtime, I can also take the OT as flex which means that I will get some more time off later this summer. Plus, it keeps my department’s costs down.
- The best part of working nights as a supervisor? When a couple of different guys come down and let you know how great the rest of the staff is to them. I often only hear negative stuff but it’s nice to hear some good stuff as well and even nicer when I can pass that on.
- I was asked how the staff keeps their senses of humor at work and I didn’t really have an answer except we all like to joke around. The follow up question was were you like that before you started working here? I would answer, partially… A lot of people who use our services are pretty funny and quick witted. I think that’s contagious. We do our best to keep it going.
- We are planning to leave Friday for the lake. The weather is supposed to be cool which I will take. A good fire in the firepit is the great equalizer. We plan to do some more painting with our low V.O.C. paint that really isn’t that low in V.O.C. department (so much for honest marketing and labeling). I also bought an old cupboard thing for the cabin this week. It is real wood but has a 70s finish on it and it is the perfect size for a microwave stand and kitchen storage underneath. The wood isn’t that nice to strip down and refinish so we are going to paint it a cool color. When I say we, I actually mean I will be doing that. Wendy does better painting walls. As you can see, we have two walls done in the main room but we need to finish up and I need to sand down and fix up the holes in the door. After that we tackle the bedroom, hang some blinds, and then call it a summer.
- Speaking of Wendy, apparently she returned to work this week. I have been sleeping or working when she is at home so for right now it is just a rumor but she seems to be out of the house a lot if she isn’t. It does mean that Mark and I have to take care of Oliver. The secret is to feed and change him and then put him by my feet until the dog walks by and Oliver thinks that the dog wandering through the living room is a game of peek-a-boo. Parenting is easy.