I am getting stuff ready for a quick trip to Chicago in eleven days and am getting all of the stuff ready that make the trip easy. Over the years I have become a lot better packing my carry on which makes a big difference but here is what I carry on trips now.
In my carry-on (a Swiss Army messenger/laptop bag)
- iPod Touch loaded with music and a couple of podcasts :: I also have LED Football and Air Hockey installed on it. The Air Hockey is for Mark and I while we are waiting but it has a one person game as well. I just sits in my shirt pocket and doesn’t actually make it’s way into the carry on.
- PSP with three or four games :: I’ll bring Ghost Recon 2, Madden 07, and Medal of Honor Heroes 2 along. The memory card is full of YouTube videos that Mark helps pick out. Mostly videos from TED. I just hope that the cluster bomb guy doesn’t sit beside me.
- Noise canceling headphones :: Wendy bought a cheap pair for me a couple of years ago and they work amazing while flying. It makes flying a calming and relaxing experience no matter where I am on the plane. Best $30 that we have ever spent. Since I am on a plane, I fit in rather than look like a geek. Thanks for Bose for making me look cool while flying even if I am using cheap knock offs.
- A magazine or a book :: I generally bring a sports magazine and a book of history along on a trip. I am one that enjoys the Airline magazines as well.
- My Fujifilm J10 camera :: I enjoy airport photography, what can I say?
- My Dell laptop (power supply goes in the checked luggage) :: I don’t actually pull it out but I hate to check it after seeing luggage dropped off carts, off loading belts, and run over by trucks on the tarmac. My body frame, economy seats, laptops, and trays do not go together well.
- 1 litre of Aquafina water :: I used to drink coffee while flying which used to dehydrate me even more. Now it is just water.
- Business cards :: In case the person beside me is interesting enough to chat with again, it’s always good to have some cards in the case. Of course the best flights are when no one is beside me and I can stretch out. The second best flights are when they don’t want to talk to me either.
- Passport :: I had this around the neck thing for when I went to Bahamas but it was awfully uncomfortable. I’ll keep it secure in my carry-on this time.
- A pen and small journal :: You have no idea how many times I have flown into Canada or the U.S. without a pen to fill out customs declarations. If I keep it up, I may be put on the secretive “Annoying to Fly With List”.
In my checked luggage
- My Skullcandy headphones
- Webcam and mic for Skype :: While Oliver won’t care that much, Mark loves to e-mail and chat via Skype when I am gone.
- Small tripod :: I won’t have a lot of free time in Chicago and if I get out, it would be at night so I figure that I would take a small tripod along and take some night shots of the Windy City.
- Black and Decker Power Boost :: It’s a battery for USB powered devices. I saw it a while ago in XS Cargo and it was cheap enough to pick up even if it was junk. It was originally bought to recharge iPods at the cabin (as it works like a powered USB hub) but is great to keep me going if we miss a flight or are delayed and I can find a WiFi connection.
- MoviePix HD
- Extra batteries and SD cards
- My business card case with about 50 cards in it.
If I am lucky, I will have enough room for my clothes. What do you take a long with you on trips?