Digital Camera Advice

Wendy wanted to get me a camera for Christmas.  She started to second guess what kind to get and decided to get my input on it.  We have looked around a lot and are torn between a Fujifilm s2000HD camera.  It is an extended zoom camera with a 15 times zoom.  I have had a Dimage Z10 for several years and I loved it.  The Fujifilm s2000HD would be an improved version of it with ten megapixels instead of 3.2 and a longer zoom.

The other option is to get a Olympus Evolt E-410 DSLR with two lenses.  It is more money but it is an awfully afforable DLSR.  Of course I would then have to learn how to shoot with a DSLR.

My question is that I take a lot of landscape shots and just casual shots around the house.  I also take a point and shoot Kodak with me a lot of the time.  You can take a look at my account on Flickr to see what I tend to shoot if you need some context.

Which camera do you think I should get?  Should Olympus’s 3/4 lense mount worry me (it is “open source” now) or should I lean towards a Nikon or Canon?  For you DSLR people out there, do you carry yours around a lot or do you find that you carry a point and shoot?  How long did it take you to become comfortable shooting with your DSLR?

Let me know in the comments.

1. Marc says:

Or you might look into one of the Pentax DSLR offerings, which get great reviews and are affordable. The K200D is apparently an excellent camera and a little more user-friendly than the K20.

2. Marc says:

…also, I find DSLRs not convenient carry around cameras, because they’re bulky. If you want a high-end carry-around camera for at or just below the price of a DSLR, you might want to look into getting a Canon G-10, which appears to have all the manual functionality and solid build of a DSLR packed into a point-and-shoot.

3. Cindy says:

I’ll confess being new to DSLR, but did my research online and with camera buffs. I chose the Canon XSi, and have been lauded by others. The basic lens is amazing (EFS 18-55mm), and it has basic mode to let you get used to it before venturing off.

4. wilsonian says:

I got a Canon Rebel XTi sometime in ’07. I got one really good lens with it, and I haven’t really ever taken it off. I carry it with me all the time. I’ve gotten used to the weight, but there are some times (and places) when I’m too conscious of carrying it.

I’d say if you’re interested in investing time in photography, go with the DSLR. If you’re interested in capturing life as it happens, and want to remember life with your kids… stick with the point and shoot. You won’t have to be as precious with it, and won’t have second thoughts about having it lake-side when you learn to fish.

5. Tara says:

I upgraded to the Pentax slr about a year and a half ago, never looked back. A month ago I upgraded to the K200. I found while it’s bulky, and I do still carry my point and shoot around for day to day. The slr gives much more flexibility and better pictures then my point and shoot.

Canon and Nikon are good names – but with them you tend to pay for the names. Out of the two – I would lean more Nikon than Canon. See less Nikon slr coming in for camera repairs. Plus I just like the feel of the Nikon.

However, if your not planning on going pro, the pentax and olympus give good bang for your buck in terms of features. The biggest downside is finding lens. At least with Pentax, I find I’m often struggling to find lens that are so easy to find for Nikon and Canon.

My two cents.

6. Jordon says:

Erin, good advice. Regardless of what I am getting, I am planning to pick up a cheap point and shoot (I now have a Kodak 433) that gets used in places where if it gets destroyed, I don’t care that much.

7. I am the proud owner of a Pentax *ist DSLR. It’s been excellent for me. My dad owns a Nikon D40x, which he loves. I have friends who own various Canon’s which are great as well. I’d stick with one of those three brands, even if they are a bit more expensive than the olympus or fuji. Steve’s Digicams provides excellent reviews online. I’d recommend those brands not just due to the quality of the camera, but you will also be getting a better lense with them. The quality of your lense is far more important than the ‘features’ your camera has.
    If you’re going with multiple lenses, a nice feature is the automatic sensor cleaner. It’s nearly impossible to avoid having debris get in the camera body when changing lenses, which is more of an issue with digital cameras compared to film SLR’s.

8. Dick Groot says:

I use the Pentax K10D myself… but I think bang for buck the Fujifilm s2000HD would be your best of the ones you mentioned… I have been very impressed with the advances Fuji has made with low light, as I do a lot of available light photography this is a plus.

There is also a huge advantage to having a smaller fixed lens camera. (no decisions ) just shoot lol.

merry Christmas