- I can’t describe to you how cold it is today. When I went outside to go to work today, all I heard was the sound of cars that couldn’t start. I froze my cheeks walking across 19th Street from our parking lot at the Centre to the front door. It took probably 30 seconds to walk that far. As for the guys who stay at the shelter and have no place to go, they get to stay inside all day. Some are watching television, some help clean. I did have a conversation today with one guy who stays here and we both came to the conclusion that those burning barrels you always see homeless warming up to in movies wouldn’t make much of an impact today. Being this cold means that I did a lot interviews about the cold and the shelter with the media today. One reporter that I know phoned up and said, “I am doing the same story we did the last time it got really cold” which made me laugh.
- David Brooks seems to sum up what I think is wrong with the Hillary Clinton campaign :: Last week there was the widespread revulsion at the Clintons’ toxic attempts to ghettoize Barack Obama. In private and occasionally in public, leading Democrats lost patience with the hyperpartisan style of politics — the distortion of facts, the demonizing of foes, the secret admiration for brass-knuckle brawling and the ever-present assumption that it’s necessary to pollute the public sphere to win. All the suppressed suspicions of Clintonian narcissism came back to the fore. Are these people really serving the larger cause of the Democratic Party, or are they using the party as a vehicle for themselves? :: Here is a bit of the backstory for the article.
- This is a little disconcerting. An Air Canada pilot has a breakdown on a flight and has to be restrained by crew and passengers. Luckily everyone was alright and the pilot is in a mental hospital in Ireland.
- This is a long shot but could you imagine the scene in Boston if the NEW YORK Giants defeat the undefeated New England Pariots in the Super Bowl? How would a city that already suffers from a giant inferiority complex handle it if it’s one chance at history was lost because of a mediocre New York team became a team of destiny and not them.
- As a Toronto Raptors fan it is always nice to read that Vince Carter is destroying the chemistry of yet another team. So much talent, so little competitiveness.
- Some have asked about the Youth Safe House idea and who was involved. It’s at an odd stage right now because of how complicated it is and how many departments are involved in projects like this. My initial proposal for it was called a “pre-proposal” which later seemed too far along so I called a “pre-pre-proposal” which later I have to call it a “pre-history of a proposal”. Basically right now it is just inviting a lot of different people to explore an idea and if it works, it works.
- Of course when it is this cold out, there is nothing better than finding someplace warm and putting in a baseball game in the PSP and dreaming about baseball starting soon. While you are dreaming about baseball, here are 23 odd rules about the game.